Across Asean social media networks are in a frenzy as the clock ticks down to the judging of the 2017 Miss Universe pageant.
On Twitter in particular armies of supporters are furiously tweeting and retweeting photos of their country’s’ representative, along with the hashtag Miss Universe (#MissUniverse), and the hashtag appropriate for their country, with each tweet or retweet contributing towards votes for their representative.
Particularly active have been supporters of ‘Miss Cambodia’, By Sotheary, who, along with ‘Miss Lao’, Souphaphone Somvichith, are representing their respective countries for the first time in the 66-year-old event. Not surprisingly countries with larger populations have a greater reach and as at 10pm on November 24, the top three most tweeted Asean contestants were:
- Rachel Peters, ‘Miss Philippines with 40,456,302 tweets,
- Mareeya Poonlertlarp, ‘Miss Thailand’ with 38,672,204 tweets
- Bunga Jelitha, ‘Miss Indonesia’, with 27,337,624 tweets
This year nine Asean member states are represented in the 92-contestant Miss Universe pageant, all vying for the prestigious title of Miss Universe 2017.
Commencing at 4pm Pacific time (See below for Asean viewing times) and broadcast live on the Fox network in the USA, the contestants will compete in a swimsuit, evening gown, and final question rounds, with the number of contestants reducing each time.
The winner will be awarded a crown made by Czech company DIC (Diamonds International Corporation) weighing 411 grams (14.5oz) and comprising 311 diamonds, five blue topaz pieces, 198 blue sapphires, 33 pieces of crystal, and 220 grams (7.76 oz) of gold valued at US$300,000.
The contestant crowned Miss Universe 2017 will also receive:
- a year-long salary as Miss Universe
- luxury accommodations in a New York City apartment for the duration of her reign, including living expenses
- a one-year supply of haircare products and tools from Farouk Systems
- a shoe wardrobe from Chinese Laundry Shoes & Accessories
- a personalized face chart and products from MAC Cosmetics
- personal services including membership to Gravity Fitness @ Le Parker Meridien Hotel and hair services from John Barrett Salon
- a modeling portfolio by leading fashion photographers
- dermatology and skincare services
- a professional health and nutrition consultation
- dental services
- professional representation by The Miss Universe Organization
- extensive travel representing sponsors and charitable partners
- access to various events including casting opportunities, movie premiers, screenings, Broadway shows and launch parties
- and personal appearance wardrobe and styling by the official Miss Universe Organization fashion stylist
Miss Universe 2017 in Asean
For Asean residents wanting to follow events live 4pm Pacific time equates to:
- 6.30am November 27: Yangon
- 7am November 27: Bangkok/ Jakarta/ Phnom Penh/ Singapore/Vientiane
- 8am November 27: Kuala Lumpur/ Manila/ Singapore
Miss Universe trivia
- The crown of Miss Universe has changed nine times over the course of its 65-year history.
- The Miss Universe crown in 1953 was made from bronze.
- As of 2016, only three countries have been present at every Miss Universe since its resurrection in 1952 — Canada, France, and Germany.
- Since 2012 transgender women have been allowed to compete, as long as they win their national pageants
- Ticket prices for the the 2017 Miss Universe contest range from $87 to $10,000 (plus service charge) and Nevada ‘live event’ tax.
Meet Asean’s Miss Universe contestants
AEC News Today is pleased to present the official contestant video’s for Asean’s nine entrants in the 2017 Miss Universe pageant.
#MissUniverseCambodia2017, By Sotheary
#MissUniverseIndonesia2017, Bunga Jelitha
#MissUniverseLaos2017, Souphaphone Somvichith
#MissUniverseMalaysia2017, Samantha James
#MissUniverseMyanmar2017, Zun Thansin
#MissUniversePhilippines2017, Rachel Peters
#MissUniverseSingapore 2017, Manuela Bruntraeger
#MissUniverseThailand2017, Mareeya Poonlertlarp
#MissUniverseVietnam2017, Loan Nguyen
Videos Miss Universe