Football fans in four Asean member countries will be able to catch all of the action of the UEFA Champions League Round 16 direct on their smartphones or computers as the result of a deal between Goal media, Twitter, and the UEFA League.
The four games to be broadcast live and available for view by football fans in Thailand, Philippines, Cambodia, and Laos on the microblogging platform are:
- Tottenham Hotspur v Borussia Dortmund, February 14
- Liverpool v Bayern Munich, February 20
- Paris Saint-Germain v Manchester United, March 7
- Manchester City v Schalke 04, March 13
All games commence at 3.00am Thailand time (GMT +7) and will be accessible via the @Goal_TH Twitter channel whether people are logged-in, or not.
Football fans in Thailand, Philippines, Cambodia, Laos, Singapore, Malaysia, and Brunei will also be able to view highlights from each game on Goal‘s Twitter stream, while live and on-demand coverage of all matches will also be streamed on the Goal website in the region.
James Dickens, Goal‘s head of content, said the deal will allow football fans from across the four countries to “enjoy these high-stakes games between some of the best supported teams in the region”.
According to Maurizio Barbieri, head of sports partnerships for Southeast Asia at Twitter, the region’s football fans “are some of the most engaged and passionate on the planet”.
While considerably smaller in user numbers than Facebook, YouTube, or Instagram, Twitter boasts a strong user base regionally (and globally) with those who value its immediacy.
Its fourth quarter 2018 (Q4 2018) earning came in at some $909 million, with a net income of $255 million. Its average monetizable daily active users hit 126 million in Q4 2018, up 9 per cent year-on-year. Monthly active users, however, fell from 326 million in Q3 2018, to 321 million, dragging its stock price down almost seven per cent.
Feature photo UEFA Champions League
- Goal to Broadcast the UEFA Champions League LIVE on Twitter (MENAFN)
- Goal to broadcast Champions League on Twitter (The Phuket News)
- Goal to Broadcast the UEFA Champions League LIVE on Twitter (Viet Nam News)
Between November 2010 and February 2012 she was a staff writer at Daylight Online, Nigeria writing on health, fashion, and relationships. From 2010 – 2017 she worked as a freelance screen writer for ‘Nollywood’, Nigeria.
She joined AEC News Today in December 2016.
Latest posts by Stella-maris Ewudolu (see all)
- Zoonotic crossover fear sees Vietnam ban (almost) all wildlife trade (video) – July 26, 2020
- Job & revenue losses: COVID-19 to hurt Asean airlines the most – July 24, 2020
- Philippines morning news for July 24 – July 24, 2020
- Philippines morning news for July 23 – July 23, 2020