Philippines morning news for May 28

Philippines morning news for May 28

Philippines morning news

Despite police claims, drug war killings continue amid COVID-19 lockdown — int’l rights monitor
An international rights watchdog Wednesday said that despite the quarantine caused by the novel coronavirus outbreak, the vigilante-style summary executions linked to President Rodrigo Duterte’s campaign against illegal narcotics remained constant.
— Philippine Star

FDI up 12% in January, but seen to dip
FOREIGN direct investments (FDI) started the year on a positive note in early January, the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP) reported on Wednesday.
— Business Mirror

Fearing coronavirus, OFWs in Algeria ask PH gov’t to bring them home
Fearing sickness and longing for their families, Filipinos working in Algeria are appealing to the Philippine government to help bring them home as the coronavirus disease continues to spread in the African country.
— Rappler

PH coronavirus cases breach 15,000
Coronavirus cases in the country breached 15,000 on Wednesday, May 27, as the Department of Health (DOH) announced 380 new cases.
— Rappler

4-month budget deficit shoots up to P347.9 billion
THE country’s budget deficit from January to April widened to P347.9 billion, skyrocketing by 10,214.56 percent from the shortfall of P3.4 billion recorded in the same period a year ago, data from the Bureau of the Treasury (BTr) showed.
— Business Mirror

NTC backs Senate bill allowing firms with expired franchises to operate pending renewal
Philippine senators tackled a bill seeking to allow companies with expired franchises to operate if they have pending applications for renewal in Congress.
— ABS-CBN News (video)

Okada Manila to lay off over 1,000 workers due to severe losses
Luxury resort and casino operator Okada Manila will be laying off more than 1,000 employees, as its losses deepen due to the coronavirus pandemic .
— Rappler

DFA: 29 new Covid-19 cases, 6 deaths among Pinoys abroad
A total of 2,664 Filipinos have so far been diagnosed with the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) abroad after 29 new confirmed cases were reported by the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) on Wednesday.
— Philippine News Agency

P628B needed for economic stimulus program until 2021, says Sotto
The Philippines will need a P600-billion fund to support activities that will help revive its economy until 2021, according to Senate President Vicente Sotto III on Wednesday.
— GMA Network

Warring clans in Kapai, Lanao del Sur resolve conflict for peace
Two opposing clans here decided to end their strife through a peaceful resolution.
— Philippine Information Agency

Senate OKs on 2nd reading bill allowing start of classes beyond August
The Senate on Wednesday approved on second reading an amendatory bill which seeks to give President Rodrigo Duterte the authority to reschedule opening of classes beyond August.
— GMA Network

Philippines, Vietnam reaffirm commitment to peace, security, stability in South China Sea
The Philippines and Vietnam reaffirmed the shared commitment to pursue peace, security and stability in the South China Sea.
— PTV News

Duterte extends term of Boracay rehab body
President Rodrigo Duterte has extended the term of the task force formed to oversee the rehabilitation of world-famous tourist destination Boracay island.
— Philippine Star

COVID-19 cases among Filipino health workers reach 2,437; over 1k have recovered
The Department of Health (DOH) on Wednesday reported that 17 more healthcare workers contracted the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), raising total infections to 2,437.
— GMA Network

Solons want immunization program continued amid COVID-19 crisis
A measure has been filed at the House of Representatives urging the continuous implementation of the National Immunization Program (NIP) for children amid the ongoing threat of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).
— GMA Network

Philippines transitions to online schooling amid coronavirus
The upcoming school year in the Philippines will push through as planned but the government was still not keen on allowing face-to-face classes.
— Asean Economist

Gov’t to keep ban on jeepneys, buses as infections top 15,000
THE ban on jeepneys and buses will remain even after the lockdown in Metro Manil a is relaxed, according to the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA), as coronavirus infections topped 15,000.
— BusinessWorld

Government plans to borrow P170 billion in June
THE government is planning to borrow P170 billion from the domestic market in June, according to the Bureau of the Treasury (BTr).
— BusinessWorld

Medical frontliners exempted from number coding under GCQ
Medical frontliners are exempted from the number coding scheme once the general community quarantine or GCQ is in place by June, the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority announced yesterday.
— Philstar

Illegal cigarette factories uncovered in Pagadian
Government authorities said they are conducting an in-depth investigation to determine the owners of the illegal cigarette factories operating in three villages of this city.
— Philippine News Agency

‘Sin’ tax collection dips 57.1% to P31 billion on virus lockdown
“SIN” tax collection from alcohol and tobacco products as of end-April dropped by 57.1 percent to P30.6 billion, a decline mainly attributed to the lockdown and the liquor ban imposed amid the Covid-19 pandemic.
— Business Mirror

‘CREATE to produce 1.1 million jobs in 5 years’
THE “recalibrated” tax reform package now known as Corporate Recovery and Tax Incentives for Enterprises Act (CREATE) is seen to produce at least 1.1 million jobs over five years and trigger a V-shaped recovery for the country’s economy next year.
— Business Mirror

NTC shuttered ABS-CBN due to SolGen quo warranto plea
The quo warranto petition filed by Solicitor General Jose Calida in the Supreme Court, which questioned the validity of ABS-CBN’s franchise, prompted the National Telecommunications Commission (NTC) to shut down the network, NTC Commissioner Gamaliel Cordoba told a Senate hearing on Wednesday.
— Philippine Daily Inquirer

‘Negligent in the extreme’: HRW says Philippines fails to assist children affected by ‘drug war’
The Philippine government failed to assist the children whose parents or guardians have been killed in the administration’s brutal war on drugs, making their impoverished situations worse, the Human Rights Watch said.
— Philippine Star

With relief goods running out, Cebuano youth group helps raise funds and aid
When the lockdown made it difficult for families to access local markets and maintain daily livelihood, a youth group came up with ways to provide relief goods to those heavily affected by the pandemic in a town in Cebu.
— Rappler

Shifting Metro Manila to GCQ early will increase COVID-19 cases, deaths –UST researchers
The number of COVID-19 cases and deaths in Metro Manila will increase if it shifts to a general community quarantine on June 1, researchers from the University of Santo Tomas warned Wednesday.
— GMA Network

Vietnam pledges long-term supply of rice to PH
Vietnam has pledged to provide a long-term supply of rice to the Philippines “at competitive prices” even in the face of the coronavirus pandemic.
— Manila Bulletin

6 convicts die of coronavirus in Bucor facilities; 161 cases overall
At least 6 convicts in the custody of the Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) have died of COVID-19, the Department of Justice (DOJ) said on Wednesday, May 27.
— Rappler

7,500 OFWs sent back to their hometowns after prolonged quarantine
The government has sent home 7,500 returning migrant workers to their hometowns, two days since President Rodrigo Duterte ordered the use of government resources to ferry home quarantined OFWs who had been waiting in isolation for weeks if not months, the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration said.
— Philippine Star

Government wooing 135 China-based foreign firms to relocate to PHL
THE government is persuading at least 135 foreign manufacturers in China to relocate here as part of an industry strategy to present the Philippines as a complementary site to the Asian superpower.
— Business Mirror

DOT issues health and safety guidelines for hotels, accommodation establishments outside community quarantine areas
The Department of Tourism has issued guidelines for the implementation of health and safety protocols in hotels, resorts and other accommodation establishments in areas where community quarantine is no longer in effect.
— Eagle News

Duterte’s violent drug war leaves children traumatized – HRW
President Rodrigo Duterte’s violent anti-drug campaign has lasting effects on thousands of children already suffering from the death of their loved one, Human Rights Watch (HRW) said.
— Rappler

COVID-19 cases within the PNP almost at 300
There are 17 personnel from the Philippine National Police (PNP) who have tested positive for the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), bringing the total to 298.
— GMA Network

Makati City cops arrest 2 Chinese ‘doctors’ from illegal COVID-19 clinic
Two self-proclaimed doctors from China were arrested in Makati City yesterday for allegedly running a clinic that exclusively treated the suspects’ compatriots, including COVID-19 patients.
— Coconuts Philippines

Palace: Enrollment in public schools to proceed on June 1
After President Rodrigo Duterte rejected resumption of classes until a vaccine for COVID-19 is available, the Palace on Wednesday said enrollment will push through on June 1 and the next school year will still open on August 24.
— Philippine Star

Globe starts weekly rapid antibody testing of frontline employees
As the government eases quarantine restrictions, Globe Telecom begins the weekly rapid antibody testing of all its frontliners to ensure that both the workforce and stakeholders are protected from COVID-19.
— Philippine Star

Duterte wants Aaron Aquino to head Clark International Airport Corporation
From heading the country’s top anti-drugs agency, Aaron Aquino has been transferred to the Clark International Airport Corporation (CIAC).
— Rappler

Dinagat nickel firm spends P4.1-M for Covid-19 response
To help contain the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19), the Cagdianao Mining Corporation (CMC) has so far released over PHP4.1 million for food and protective personal equipment, including an ambulance unit and a service truck to the local government here.
— Philippine News Agency

Free fish distributed to over 600 poor families, IPs in Cebu
Over 1,400 kilograms of free fish were distributed to more than 600 poor families including the indigenous peoples (IPs) affected by the community quarantine measures in Cebu province, the Bureau of Fishery and Aquatic Resources (BFAR)-Region 7 said on Wednesday.
— Philippine News Agency

Child sex offender gets life imprisonment for human trafficking
An American child sex offender was sentenced to life after he was found guilty of 3 counts of “large-scale qualified trafficking in persons” by a Pampanga court on Tuesday, May 26.
— Rappler

59K ‘waitlisted’ families in Region 1 to get subsidy
Some 59,104 families in Region 1 (Ilocos) in the waiting list of beneficiaries of the Social Amelioration Program (SAP) are set to receive emergency cash subsidy, the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) confirmed.
— Philippine News Agency

House subpanel OKs bill on new normal
A SUBPANEL of a House committee tackling anti-coronavirus measures has approved a bill mandating social distancing and the use of face masks in public under the so-called new normal.
— BusinessWorld

Sotto confident Congress will extend Bayanihan law before session adjourns
The effectivity of the Bayanihan to Heal as One Act will certainly be extended beyond June, according to Senate President Vicente Sotto III on Wednesday.
— GMA Network

DOF begins final set of cash payouts to workers
Despite delays on the first batch of assistance, small firm workers displaced by the pandemic have started to receive the second and final tranche of aid promised to them by the government.
— Philippine Star

COVID-19 cases in prisons jump to 194; 161 are inmates
The number of COVID-19 infections at the Bureau of Corrections rose to 194, and 161 of these are convicts in the bureau’s overcrowded facilities, the Department of Justice reported on Wednesday.
— Philippine Star

Iloilo ready for influx of OFWs, stranded residents
The Iloilo provincial government said on Wednesday, May 27, that it has prepared for the influx of overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) and other returning Ilonggos who had been stranded in other parts of the country due to the coronavirus lockdowns.
— Rappler

Thunderstorm advisory raised over parts of N. Luzon
A thunderstorm advisory has been hoisted over parts of Northern Luzon.
— Eagle News

DOH allows continued hydroxychloroquine treatment if already started
The Department of Health (DOH) said on Wednesday, May 27, that patients who have been taking hydroxychloroquine before the World Health Organization (WHO) warned against the use of the drug can continue with the treatment, but under close monitoring.
— Rappler

LTO office in Agusan Norte nets over P1.2-M revenues after ECQ
Days after its operations resumed on May 13 after the lockdowns were lifted, the Land Transportation Office’s district office in Cabadbaran City in Agusan del Norte (LTO-ADN) collected PHP1.23 million from vehicle registrations, issuance of licenses, and law enforcement operations.
— Philippine News Agency

Dominguez offers to educate Marcos on government pandemic response
After schooling the lady senator on economic history, Finance Secretary Carlos Dominguez III on Wednesday offered to brief Sen. Imee Marcos on the government’s budget response to the coronavirus outbreak, which she thinks is insufficient.
— Philippine Star

Experts urge Duterte gov’t: Tap ‘science spokesperson’ for pandemic response
A group of experts say the Duterte administration needs a scientist or health expert to speak alongside its official spokesperson to more accurately explain the science behind coronavirus policies.
— Rappler

 

 

Feature photo AKTIB Philippines
This week’s Philippines morning news feature photo focuses on World No-Tobacco Day, May 31

 

Find our previous morning news feature photos in the AEC News Today Morning News Feature Photos gallery where you will find a pictorial display of daily life throughout the Asean Economic Community (AEC).

 

 

About Philippines morning news.

Philippines morning news roundup is the most comprehensive hand-curated selection of Philippines English language news headlines published. Each weekday we scour hundreds of local and international news sites and websites to find the most recent Philippines English language news today.

We filter our the dull, the boring, the repetitive, and the click-bait and package all of the Philippines daily news that you need to know to start your day into an easy to read, time saving format of Philippines news headlines and first paragraphs before 8.15am Manila time.

We clearly identify the source of all the Philippines news headlines, whether it is behind a paywall, a media release, or whether the news site uses annoying pop-up advertising or auto-play video, in case those things annoy you too. If a website uses particularly invasive pop-up adverts, we’ll tell you.

This enables you to make an informed choice of whether you want to learn more by clicking directly through to the original Philippines news article, or keep on reading the remaining Philippines daily news headlines.

Click here to get your Philippines English language news today by email before 9am Manila time daily. Remember to watch out for the confirmation email from us to confirm your subscription. Check your trash folder if you do not see it.

For more immediate updates download the AEC News Today Mobile App from the Apple or Google stores, or follow us on Twitter.

 

#Independentmedia

Governance, not government; policies not politics.

 

The following two tabs change content below.

Stella-maris Ewudolu

Journalist at AEC News Today

Stella-maris graduated with a Bachelor of Arts, Education from Ebonyi State University, Nigeria in 2005.

Between November 2010 and February 2012 she was a staff writer at Daylight Online, Nigeria writing on health, fashion, and relationships. From 2010 – 2017 she worked as a freelance screen writer for ‘Nollywood’, Nigeria.

She joined AEC News Today in December 2016.

Support independent media by sharing using these tools. Do not steal our content

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.